Back to Fine Art by Jamie Ennen Home

Friday, March 18, 2011

Yellow Boat

I went out to paint recently with my friend Kathleen. We choose Balboa Island to go to as there are boats moored out in the water in addition to being tied up at the docks. The morning had a lot of clouds this day so the light filtering through was muted. I decided to paint the little yellow row boat because I was drawn to the contrast of the dark reflection and shadows.

It's always interesting to paint outside because you never know what is going to happen or what may come to your attention. Where I set up to paint is a walkway with houses on one side, a small sandy area, then the bay. Locals and tourists constantly are passing by. You get a different crowd depending on the season and the economy. Our dollar must be a good buy right now because I could hear a larger variety of accents as people were walking by. It's fun to try and guess where they have come from by their accents and dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment